The 8 Fundamentals of Breakthrough Communication
The Key to Delivering The KO Opening and Closing Argument
Connecting to your emotional inner core increases authenticity and awareness as self-made obstacles, setbacks, and challenges are embraced, and transformed into your greatest strengths on your feet in front of your jurors.
- Find Your Passion. Great lawyers are driven by passion…for the law, their client, and in doing what is right—they also like to win. One of the greatest ways to leverage this passion, taking your confidence one step further, is to trust the story you’re telling enough to take the risk to release it’s true power and yours to convince your jury (passionless litigation is dry litigation). You will convert this passion into results—for you and your trusting clients.
- Flip The Script–Discover The Value Of Conflict. You will identify conflict as an ally in your case narrative. Conflict drives a story forward to your advantage, if you learn how. Master this skill and you control the audience.
- Come To The Crossroads—Reveal The Power Of CHOICE. Identifying the point at which you, your client, and your jury must make a singular choice in the scene by scene narrative of your story is where the emotion connects, where the jury relates, and where you can lock up your case. You will learn how to develop the right language, themes, and “power anchors” essential to any winning story.
TRANSFORMING THE CLIENT FROM
VICTIM TO VICTOR
You’ll learn to put yourself in your client’s shoes and see the case through their eyes to create an emotionally compelling case narrative.
- The Winning Vs Whining Story: Get Your Client (and you!) Out Of The Victim Trap. Take your client from victim to victor. One of the greatest dangers for the trial lawyer is assuming the audience actually cares about your client’s problems. No one is moved when you play the victim (in pain), except you. If you show your jurors how your client proactively moves forward in strength through the pain, you earn the love and respect of your audience- and they’ll give you anything—including your just verdict.
ARMING THEM FOR JUSTICE
Creating rapport, and trust with your client and jury helps you build authentic relationships that win cases.
- Surface Story vs. Beneath The Surface Story. There’s always two stories, the surface story and the one lying beneath it. When you discover the emotional connection between the two, your words become the portal to emotion, power and confidence in your delivery. You can now help the jury discover the undercurrents of the unspoken, to see the shrewdness of your opponent’s argument, so they will not be swayed but make the right decision…in your clients favor.
- Get Into State – State Management. There are emotional states that reside inside all of us. The trick is to be able to tap into those states, in the moment, without actually having to physically be somewhere else. When you can change your state, from elation to terror, the jury shifts with you. This helps you proactively change their emotional state to the one you desire—especially critical when introducing a traumatic event.
- Speak, Silence! – The Power of the Nonverbal. There is great power in the pause–the things you don’t say. Out of the silence, you’ll learn how timing, audience, gestures, energy and breathing techniques are essential to develop engagement and trust with your jurors.
In addition, as an added benefit…
- Live Your Greater Story. As much as these concepts help you win your case, there is a side benefit…beyond the courtroom. As you apply the principles as a skill, they become internal, authentic, and your passion for work and life increases. You better connect with colleagues, with loved ones, and you become a stronger, more connected person. You learn to tell the winning story for others…and maybe, just maybe…you’ll learn something more about yourself.